By The Deacons
WATCH THIS VIDEO (It’s Short!):
Take 2 minutes and watch this video from Bob Lupton (author of Toxic Charity) & Marvin Cannon (former Executive Director of FCS Ministries)
We are called to care for others, give generously, and pursue satisfying the needs of the poor. But what does that look like practically? If you’re like us, we can sometimes “give,” just so we can check the box. Yet, in so doing, we miss the opportunity to do this WELL.
As discussed in this video, our “giving to the poor” can sometimes end up insulting the recipient or robbing them of their dignity. So when you give, take the time to put yourself in their shoes and think how you would want to be served.
“A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed” (Prov 11:25)
Here are some ideas and opportunities to REFRESH others over the next month:
- Invite a person or family over for dinner
- Volunteer at an event at Hope-Hill Elementary in December (contact Katelyn DiGioia or Tessa Pickren)
- Donate children’s books to Hope-Hill Elementary (contact Katelyn DiGioia or Tessa Pickren)
- Volunteer for Pride for Parents (the organization featured in the video) throughout December Their Sign Up List
- Give a higher end toy to Pride for Parents (like a toy found at Rhen’s Nest Toy Store in Grant Park)